Tooth-Colored Fillings - Schaumburg, IL
Treat Your Cavities without Metal Fillings
When you think about a dental filling, a dark metal spot on your tooth likely comes to mind. Although an amalgam filling is an effective treatment for a cavity, it can cause an eyesore when you smile. Not to mention, there’s a concern about long-term mercury exposure. At Royal Dental Care, we know you want a more natural solution. We offer metal-free, tooth-colored filling to restore a healthy, beautiful smile.
What is a Tooth-Colored Filling?
Traditional dental fillings are made of a mixture of metals, including mercury. This makes them effective and durable; however, many people are concerned about the risk of mercury exposure. The American Dental Association supports their use and deems them safe, but we understand you want a more biocompatible treatment.
A tooth-colored filling is made from a composite resin material comprised of fine glass and plastic particles. It is completely metal-free. Not only is this the perfect option if you have metal sensitivities, but it also allows the filling to blend in with your enamel, so no one will know it’s there.
Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
Although composite fillings aren’t made from metal, they offer several advantages over amalgam ones, including:
- Biocompatible: Ideal option if you have metal sensitivities, and there’s no need to worry about mercury exposure.
- Natural-Looking: The resin is customized to match the color of your enamel to be virtually undetectable.
- Improves Oral Health: Not only does it treat your cavity, but it also strengthens your tooth because wedges don’t need to be cut into it to support the filling.
- Long-Lasting: Durable to protect your tooth for several years.
- Affordable: Many dental insurance carriers pay a portion of their cost, but you’ll need to review your policy to ensure your coverage includes them.
How are Tooth-Colored Fillings Placed?
The procedure for a composite filling differs slightly than when having a metal one placed. Your dentist prepares your tooth by removing the areas of decay. It is cleaned before a weak acid is placed on it to open the pores in your enamel and dentin. The acid is rinsed off your tooth before the perfectly shaded resin is applied and sculpted. A special dental light quickly hardens it. We’ll check your bite and polish your tooth before you leave to walk out of our office with a beautiful, healthy smile.
Caring for Your Tooth-Colored Fillings
Despite being metal-free, composite fillings are equally durable. They can last for several years with the right care. You can help ensure it lasts using a few simple tips:
- Brush your teeth twice a day using a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Floss every night.
- Avoid eating sticky or overly hard foods with the filling.
- Avoid using the teeth as tools, such as to open packages.
- Don’t chew on inedible objects, like pens or your fingernails.
- Avoid any stain-causing foods or drinks.
- Visit your dentist twice a year for a cleaning and checkup.
Schedule an Appointment
Whether you want to replace old dental work, or you have a new cavity, you can choose a natural-looking solution. Contact our office today to schedule your consultation for tooth-colored fillings.